White Supremacy Teach-In Resources
MidAmerica Region of the UUA
Regional Assembly, April 2017
Included in this list are resources that will be used during the White Supremacy Teach In at Regional Assembly, as well as resources for further learning and consideration.
Resources for Teach-In
- Black Lives of Unitarian Universalism (BLUU) website with Teach-In links and resources (http://www.blacklivesuu.com/teachin/)
- Definition of “White Supremacy” from BLUU (http://www.blacklivesuu.com/teachin)
- Graph of Overt vs. Covert White Supremacy (at right)
- New York Times video, "White People on Race" (https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/01/opinion/a-conversation-with-white-people-on-race.html?_r=2)
- 2015 Ware Lecture by Cornel West – minute 20-23 (conversation about failing better and white supremacy) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iAHrgirE7I)
- What's in a Word: White Supremacy by Alex Kaptan (https://radicalcopyeditor.com/2017/04/21/white-supremacy/)
Questions for Consideration
- How do I feel about the phrase “Institutional White Supremacy?”
- What does Institutional White Supremacy cost me?
- Cornel West (see Ware Lecture link above) says that white people have “have got some work to do.” What is my work? What is our work as UUs?
- Where is/are your opportunity(ies) to resist?
- UUA Senior Leadership statement from April 13, 2017
- Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., "Letter from Birmingham Jail" (April 16, 1963)
- I am Not Your Negro (2017), documentary by Raoul Peck with narrative text from James Baldwin
- Get Out (2017), comedy horror film and social commentary by Jordan Peele
- Darkening the Doorways: Black Trailblazers and Missed Opportunities in Unitarian Universalism by Mark D. Morrison-Reed (2011)
- Slide Presentation from Regional Assembly
White Supremacy Teach In RA2017