You might want to bookmark this page. Here you will find plenty of resources -- we'll post the latest RE news in our Region, Faith Development and Religious Education related events, Job Postings, and continue to add to our list of resource documents and links. The UUA has regular Faith Development Webinars too. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to contact us!
In the MidAmerica Region we envision a faith development landscape where we help to enable Interconnections, between our congregations and religious professionals; Innovation, in creating and sustaining new models of learning, and Impact, so that collaborations, between our congregations and religious professionals, help to grow Unitarian Universalism in our Region.
With those goals in mind, our team works from the premise that vital and growing congregations embrace and nurture lifespan faith development. In service of that premise, we seek to support religious educators in a host of ways:
Services for Religious Educators
- Transitions - For new religious educators, we can provide RE Consultants for "Start-Up" workshops for 3/4-full time religious educators. These important workshops provide an excellent beginning for a productive experience within the congregation. In addition, for departing religious educators, we can provide Exit/Transition interviews, which help in the search for a new religious educator. Also, virtual coaching is available for congregations who are about to embark on a search for a new religious educator.
- New DRE's - Every fall we provide a "New DRE" webinar series, and each of these sessions will be archived on our website for future use. We send a welcome letter to congregations for their new DRE's asking that they join our Mid-America UU Religious Educators Facebook page and our regional listserve, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Let's Talk Sessions - These open teleconference sessions are happening twice a month in September, October, and November. The hour long sessions afford an opporutnity for any religious educator to bring your questions, ideas, and news about new models and resources for your programs (more information on the Let's Talk sessions on the MA website).
- Renaissance Modules - these continuing education opportunities for religious educators are created by our national faith development leaders, and are offered twice a year in the region. We just completed the new online "UU History" renaissance module, and are planning on offering the "Adult Faith Development" module in mid-May in the Chicagoland area. We are very interested in what modules folks are needing to build their skills and portfolios, and we ask that you let us know what you are hoping for in future.
- OWL Trainings - We will be helping MidAmerica congregations who are interested in hosting an OWL training. We have a new OWL page on our MidAmerica website, with information on how to reach us. Our goal is to provide regional support to ensure that OWL trainings are offered throughout the region. For further questions, you can contact us at: OWLemail@example.com
There is a significant relational component to supporting lifespan faith development leaders, and with that in mind, I extend a heartfelt invitation for leaders to contact me.
Nancy Combs-Morgan, firstname.lastname@example.org
Congregational Life Consultant/Faith Development Program Manager
17 religious educators from the Heartland LREDA chapter met for a 3 day retreat at the Oakwood Retreat Center in Selma IN.
We were led by Karen Brown, the Faith Development Director in charge of lifespan programming at the UU Church of Greater Lynn in Swampscott, MA. Our retreat topic was "Wisdom and Art". It was a wonderful time of learning, reflection, spiritual growth and camaraderie.
This is a photo of the group with a soul collage that we made together. We thought that you might like to see it.
Kathy Silver, Heartland LREDA chapter convener
Director of Religious Education
New Hope Congregation, New Hudson, MI