Second Unitarian Church (656 W. Barry, Chicago, IL, in the Lakeview Neighborhood) seeks a full-time Congregational Administrator.
Second Unitarian Church of Chicago is a vibrant, supportive, and engaged Unitarian Universalist community where our members are committed to supporting each other and living out our values in the world. We seek a Congregational Administrator who will be the hub of the day-to-day running of the congregation.
Our new Congregational Administrator will be:
• Detail-oriented while having the ability to see how various administrative tasks work together to keep the congregation’s life flowing well
• Proactive in recognizing and acting on areas of procedural and operational improvement
• Comfortable working in a church community environment with both volunteers and paid staff
• A bridge-builder, comfortable interacting with staff, volunteers, members, renters, and guests, and be willing to offer assistance where needed
• 2-3 years of bookkeeping experience 2-3 years of administrative experience
• Strong level of proficiency in spreadsheets, database management, and bookkeeping
• Knowledge of QuickBooks
• Strong interpersonal and written communication skills
• Comfort with WordPress and membership management software preferred
The Financial Management and Human Resources Responsibilities include:
• Record income
• Manage Accounts Payable
• Prepare Monthly Financial Reports
• Prepare and Submit bi-weekly payroll
• Maintain personnel records
• Maintain church budgets
• Send monthly contributions statements
The Facilities and Rental Management Responsibilities include:
• Oversee maintenance and repair of physical plant; supervise custodians
• Manage church calendars, schedules, security, and access lists
• Manage church rentals and oversee Event Sextons
• Manage office systems, IT, and equipment
Administrative responsibilities include:
• Maintain worship, event, and space-sharing calendars;
• Send weekly reminders to worship volunteers
• Produce orders of service weekly, with assistance from volunteers
• Maintain member database
• Track and order supplies
Communications responsibilities include:
• produce bi-weekly newsletter, plus any one-off email blasts
• update website as needed
Reporting Relationships: This position reports to the Minister, and supervises the custodians.
This is a salaried full-time position with benefits in line with the UUA compensation guidelines, including health insurance, vacation, life and disability insurance, and retirement contributions. Hours are preferably Sunday through Thursday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., plus some evenings, for meetings which would benefit from the administrator’s presence, such as the Board, Finance Committee, Church Council, or planning for fundraisers.
Second Unitarian welcomes candidates of any and every race, religion, ethnicity, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, country of origin, disability status, and socioeconomic status.
Queries, cover letters, and resumes can be sent to: Dan Lewis, Chair of the Board of Trustees, at: firstname.lastname@example.org