Second Unitarian Church of Omaha
3012 S 119th Street, Omaha, NE 68144
Title: Director of Religious Education (DRE)
The Second Unitarian Church of Omaha, Nebraska, seeks a dedicated, warm, enthusiastic, and creative Director of Religious Education. The DRE provides leadership, direction and management for a Religious Education program that welcomes and nurtures the spiritual wholeness and well-being of our children and youth on Sunday morning and beyond. Second Unitarian has 120 members, plus children. We are a Welcoming, friendly and healthy congregation, seeking to transform ourselves and the wider world!
General Qualifications and Skills:
- Commitment to and a deep understanding of Unitarian Universalist Principles and values.
- College degree or relevant experience in religious education, education, child development or a related field.
- Understanding of different learning styles, the developmental stages of children and youth and the associated teaching/learning strategies, in a religious context.
- Experience in working with K-12 children and youth.
- Competency in anti-racism and multi-cultural issues, and anti-oppression issues generally.
- Strength in computer skills and internet-based applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, email and social media
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
- Warmth, enthusiasm, and creativity.
This is a part-time and year-round position, for 20 hours per week from July 1st to June 30th. The DRE must be available to work Sunday mornings during the congregational year (September – June) and also during the summer as needed for summer programming. The DRE will maintain weekly on-site office hours per week as determined by the Minister. The DRE is supervised by the Minister.
Full Job Description: Director of Religious Education Job Description
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with UUA Fair Compensation Guidelines for Geo Index 2 and based on education, UUA RE credentialing status and experience.
- Participation in the UUA Retirement Program with 10% employer contribution
- Participation in the UUA Life Insurance and Long-term Disability Insurance with 100% employer contribution
- Participation in the UUA Health Plan without employer contribution
- Professional expense allowance
- One Sunday per month off, with adequate supervision by volunteers arranged
- Forty hours paid leave annually, to include no more than two Sundays.
If you would like to join our staff team, please send a cover letter and resumé, with “DRE Position” in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also send a cover letter and resumé via postal mail to: Reverend Cyndi Simpson, Second Unitarian Church of Omaha, 3012 S 119th Street, Omaha, NE, 68144.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position is open until filled.