The Unitarian Universalist Church of Urbana Champaign (UUCUC), a vital, growing congregation of 300 adult members and 150 children and youth, seeks an Interim Director of Religious Education to guide the visioning process for a renewed lifespan religious education program for all ages. We recently completed a successful two-year ministerial interim process before calling a new settled minister, and we are enthusiastic and poised to re-envision our Religious Education program with an Interim Director of Religious Education.
Status: Full time; Salaried, Exempt
Deadline: Applications will be accepted through March 30, 2018, or until the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to submit early. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date, but no one will be offered the position until after March 30, 2018.
Beginning date: Between July 2 and August 13, 2018, for one- or two-year interim term (two-year preferred).
Salary: Commensurate with experience. UUCUC is committed to paying salaries for all staff at least at mid-range for our size (Midsize II) and Geo-index (3), as well as following UUA guidelines for staff benefits.
To apply: Send a letter of interest and resume to the RE Advisory Group (email@example.com).
Contact Rev. Florence Caplow (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions.
For more details, go to this LINK.
Working in a shared ministry framework with the minister, staff, and members of the congregation, the Interim DRE will guide us through the five stages of interim work, help us evaluate our current program, share new models of family ministry and religious education, and provide support and inspiration in developing a new and revitalized program for all ages, as well as preparing the congregation for new religious education leadership. The Interim DRE will also perform the essential functions required to administer the religious education program during this interim period.
The ideal candidate will be high energy, collaborative, and motivational. The ideal candidate will be experienced and committed to interim religious work, and enthusiastic about helping us explore where we want to go next as a truly multi-generational and multicultural congregation, where the spiritual needs and gifts of all are valued.
- In cooperation with the minister and the Religious Education Transition Committee, conduct a comprehensive evaluation of the current RE program and guide the visioning process for the development of lifespan religious education and faith formation.
- Coordinate, support, and administer the religious education program for children, youth, and families.
- Bring new ideas from the larger community of UU religious educators.
Recruit, train, and assist volunteer teachers in curriculum development, materials and classroom planning, and consultation around classroom issues and behavior.
- Facilitate congregational compliance with Safe Congregation policies, including teacher safety training and background checks.
- Coordinate multi-generational and family events and provide support for families and parents, including pastoral support when needed.
- Communicate and publicize the religious education program in church publications and emails to parents and teachers.
- Hire, train and supervise the Childcare Coordinator and childcare workers.
- Maintain religious education budget, expenses, files, and registration.
- Understands and supports the Unitarian Universalist and UUCUC mission, vision, and values, including racial justice, social justice, environmental justice, LGBTQ issues, and multicultural education.
- Brings current trends and best practices in interim religious education and lifespan faith development and communicates these to teachers, families, and congregational leaders.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm for religious education, children, and families; inspires trust and confidence from teachers, leaders, parents and children, and provides opportunities for volunteers to grow and develop.
Inspires others and works collaboratively in a staff team, as well as working with the minister as a supervisor.
- Demonstrates excellent written and speaking skills and ability to use computer programs relevant to the position (Word, Excel) as well as web-based training materials.
- Manages work time well; marshals resources (people, funding, materials) to get projects completed on time and successfully.
- Demonstrates spiritual maturity, self care, and sensitivity to different learning and communication styles.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree with a major in education or religious education; Liberal Religious Educators Association (LREDA) interim DRE certification strongly recommended; Master’s Degree preferred, or equivalent experience.
- Excellent computer and communication skills.
Knowledge of current religious education models and UU curricula.
Strong interest in and demonstrated capacity for interim religious education work.
- Knowledge of moral, cognitive and social human development, as well as the worship needs of children, youth, and adults.
The Interim Director of Religious Education will work in a professional office setting during the week, supervised by the minister. Evening and weekend hours are often required. This job is multifaceted and sometimes requires work under time pressure. The UUCUC staff culture emphasizes self-care and not over-working. Nearly all parts of the church are accessible for those who use mobility assistance.