April 2017 - Dear MidAmerica Chalice Lighter,
Chalice Lighter grants are funded by small donations from Unitarian Universalists across our large MidAmerica Region of the UUA, pooled together to help congregations with specific growth projects.
For this Spring 2017 Call, please donate by June 30, 2017.
The MidAmerica Regional Chalice Lighter Committee, comprised of representatives from all three of the former districts, considered the four applications that were received. We are pleased to announce the results of the Spring Regional Chalice Lighter call:
- Chequamegon Unitarian Universalist Fellowship in Ashland, Wisconsin, will be awarded funds to assist their growing congregation in increasing professional staff by calling their first part-time minister. The fellowship has enjoyed steady growth over the past several years, has considerable enrollment in their RE programs, and recognizes their need for competent and considerate professional leadership.
- Harbor Unitarian Universalist Congregation in Muskegon, Michigan, has committed to making their two-story building accessible by installing a vertical wheelchair lift. A Chalice Lighter grant will be awarded to allow the congregation to provide accessibility to their sanctuary, religious education area, and the social hall. Harbor UU prizes inclusivity and believes accessibility is an essential component of UU values.
- Unitarian Universalist Church of Rockford, Illinois, will be awarded funds to hire a part-time consulting minister. This ministry will serve to train and support lay leaders in social justice empowerment, leadership development, engagement, and organizing. The UU Church of Rockford sees this as an opportunity to cultivate their growing partnership with other Northern Illinois congregations and to develop a model for creating collaborative justice ministries across the state.
Congratulations to all three congregations! Chalice Lighter funds can be used to start a new congregation, acquire a meeting space, secure a minister, religious educator, or other professional staff, or provide for an outreach or public relations program. If your congregation is interested in applying for a Chalice Lighter grant, the deadline for the Fall Call is Tuesday, August 15, 2017.
To find out more about the Chalice Lighter program, or to donate to the Spring 2017 call, visit https://midamericauua.org/programs/chalice-lighters.
We thank you for your support of the growth of Unitarian Universalism in our Region!
There are several ways you can participate in the Chalice Lighter program, with four suggested levels of donation. These are amounts that would be donated three times each year (Fall, Winter & Spring Calls) upon receipt of the Call Letter.
- $20 Believer
- $50 Builder
- $100 Benefactor
- $250 Beacon
There are several ways you can donate:
- Mail a check as described below
- Donate online per call or Annually
You can make the check out to MidAmerica Region, with a note “Chalice Lighters Spring 2017 Call” in the memo line and mail it to:
MidAmerica Region, 2355 Fairview Avenue #312, Roseville, MN 55113
If you’d prefer, for tax purposes, to make one donation per year (please send the $60 minimum donation or any greater amount to be divided among the next three Calls) you can send in your check now, and we will hold the funds and divide them equally across the three Calls. If you want to make an annual donation, please be sure to note “Annual” in the memo field of your check.
For those of you who are annual donors, you are receiving a Call Letter and will receive subsequent letters to keep you updated on what your funds are being used for. You are not being asked to send more money once you have made your annual donation for a given calendar year unless you wish to do so. We know that many of you prefer to receive U. S. mail notices and send in your checks three times a year for each of the Chalice Lighter Calls. We will continue to gratefully handle your donations this way. However, if at all possible, we would like to convert the majority of both announcement letters and donations to electronic, since this saves the program money and time. Switch me to email.
Again, please know that we and the congregations who have and will receive Chalice Lighter Grants are deeply grateful for your generosity!
The MidAmerica Region Chalice Lighter Committee
Emily Jaycox, St. Louis, MO
Heidi Lackmann, DesMoines, IA
Jennifer Thomas, Bowling Green, KY
Dan Talhelm, Lansing, MI
John Blevins, Kansas City, MO
with staff support from Rev. Phillip Lund and Dori Davenport Thexton