PRAIRIE STAR DISTRICT ARCHIVES
Because Prairie Star District has become part of MidAmerica Region, this page has been archived as of July 15, 2013, for reference purposes. It will not be updated in the future, and some links may no longer work properly. For more up-to-date information, please visit the Mid America UUA site. Thank you!
UUA Stewardship Consultants
UUA Consultants are available to work with congregations for various stewardship needs, including consulting on capital campaigns for building projects. Fees are paid by the congregation.
Compensation Consultants are trained by the UUA to help congregations with staff compensation issues. Services of the Compensation Consultants are funded by the District and the UUA.
PSD Compensaton Consultants were:
Liz Bredeson, Compensation Consultant, Des Moines, IA
Louise Livesay, Compensation Consultant, St. Paul, MN
Congregational Consultants are selected and trained to assist member congregations in various areas of church organization, leadership development, building needs, conflict management, and programming. Costs are shared by the congregation and the District.
Contact the MidAmerica Region to arrange for the services of a Congregational Consultant.
Through Right Relations and Conflict Engagement
Given that we really do affirm and promote . . .
- The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
- Justice, equity, and compassion in human relations;
- Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
- A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
- The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
- The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
- Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part;
. . . how do we put these affirmations into practice in our interactions with one another?
Pandemic Outbreak Planning
The collaboration of Faith-Based and Community Organizations with public health agencies will be essential in protecting the public’s health and safety if and when an influenza pandemic occurs. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) developed a checklist that provides guidance for religious organizations (churches, synagogues, mosques, temples, etc.), social service agencies that are faith-based, and community organizations in developing and improving influenza pandemic response and preparedness plans.
The new checklist identifies specific steps faith-based and community organizations can take now to prepare for a pandemic. The checklist includes these suggested actions:
Plan for the impact of a pandemic on your organization and its missionCommunicate with and educate your staff, members, and persons in the communities that you serveSet up policies to follow during a pandemic, including evaluating activities and religious practices, if applicable, to identify those that may facilitate virus spread from person to personCoordinate with external organizations and help your community.
For more information:
Compensation Consultants are trained by the UUA to help congregations with staff compensation issues.
Please see the Compensation Consultants page on the MidAmerica Region site for current info.
- assist congregations in the search process with putting together compensation packages to help attract the best candidates to ministerial positions
- consult on how to handle candidate’s expectations
- assist in establishing fair compensation practices to all congregational employees
- consult about setting salary ranges
- answer questions about staff compensation such as how to handle salary increases (or the lack of), self-employment tax for clergy, and housing allowance
- can work with a congregation to review the personnel manual and policies including the issue of whether fulltime employees can be members of the congregation.